Sunday, August 19, 2007

CIO

To those of you who are not parents... and to those of you who don't care about stupid online acronyms... CIO stands for "cry-it-out". Yeah. I've just begun that insanity that is - how do I get my baby to sleep? I'm not doing anything yet as far as letting Penny cry to sleep is concerned, but the thought has crossed my mind earlier than it did with Ruby and Eloise! We have been in Nantucket for a week now and I've noticed that because the girls have a pretty scheduled bedtime scenerio, Penny is awake from about 7 to 10 pm. 10 o'clock is NOT a good bedtime for a little peanut her size, and she kind of doesn't really understand how to nurse herself to sleep (except when she wakes at 3 AM, which is a good thing). How do people balance 2 bedtime routines? It's not like I can make the bathtub fit all three of my kids - and I want to give Penny her own nighttime ritual. Oh, and I selfishly want to sniff her clean, fluffy hair after I've given her a sweet little newborn bath in the kitchen sink. I'm just coming to terms with the fact that Ms. Easy Going Baby will eventually have to grow up and learn to sleep. I'm noticing the signs of Cranky Mom in the early evening because I can't figure out how to swing this. And I have no idea how to make a decent dinner anymore.

Wait, did I ever have a minute to make a decent dinner in the last 3 years? Do I have to wait 3 more years to start feeding the family yummy stuff? Maybe so. (I feel like I blogged about this subject not so long ago when I actually roasted a chicken and was really proud of myself. How pathetic.)

Well, on a completely different note, Nantucket has been pretty pleasant. Different, but pleasant. And I just ADORE having Myles come out here for the weekends with us... and I'm happily anticipating a year with his presence in the home. To all of you who have a dad who works 9 to 5 (or the equivalent), consider yourselves lucky. Having Myles as a surgery intern was the shittiest scene ever. Stay-at-home Moms with Docs for husbands have it HARD, and I've just begun to deeply understand how hard it was because I can compare it to something better! That being said, one day I will have to return to my former status as Pseudo Single Mom when Myles resumes his residency... my very own cry-it-out experience to look forward to!

The spectacular photos will get posted upon my return to the Rhode Izzle. We have some good ones from the mountains AND the beaches... man are we lucky people this summer...

No comments: